Western gate

Western gate

The Vicenza Gate is the western entrance of the town, a triple access system with a keep that reaches a height of about 23 m. Hardly anything is left of its outer parts nore of the drawbridges, they had been distructed during the napoleonic period by the end of the…

Read More
Eastern gate

Eastern gate

Porta Treviso is the eastern entrance of the town, a triple access system with a keep that reaches a height of about 23 m. Hardly anything is left of its outer parts nore of the drawbridges, they had been distructed during the napoleonic period by the end of the 19th…

Read More
Praetorian palace

Praetorian palace

This large building is located along the road near the Treviso Gate, the Eastern gate. It was once the Governor’s residence – the Governor (podestà) sent out by the City of Padova and from the 15th century on by the Republic of Venice. Its interior is striking with decoration of…

Read More
Cathedral, Museum and Art Gallery

Cathedral, Museum and Art Gallery

The Cathedral was built between 1774 and 1826 by three famous architects, one of whom, Domenico Cerato, also designed Prato della Valle in Padova. The sacristy hosts an art gallery with important paintings including “La Cena in Emmaus” (The supper in Emmaus) by Jacopo da Ponte, “Lamento sul Corpo di…

Read More
Loggia Palace – Ex Town Hall

Loggia Palace – Ex Town Hall

Because of its ground floor portico the building is known as “Palazzo della Loggia” and hosts the municipal police and the Pro Cittadella organization. In 1816, it was remodelled in compliance with the neoclassical canons of the architect Carlo Barera. Among the elements that date back to the pre-existing building,…

Read More
Town Hall

Town Hall

The new base of the town hall reflects modern architectural styling but it is also a historic building since it hosted the elementary school and was dedicated to Vittorio Emanuele II.

Read More
Church Santa Lucia di Brenta

Church Santa Lucia di Brenta

Santa Lucia di Brenta is the church of an isolated Benedictine monastery which was located on the banks of the river Brenta already before the 12th century. The church was devastated and abandoned during the 14th century. When it reopened in the 16th century it had been beautifully decorated with…

Read More